Fish is for sure one of the most difficult types of meat to cook especially if you’re a novice in the field. Most people avoid searing it as it is extremely fragile and can be easily overcooked if not properly supervised. However, it’s also one of the most delicious dishes you can prepare for your dear ones. There’s a beginning for everything, so this is why we come to your attention with the most comprehensive guide to searing fish with ease. Therefore, here’s what you need to know!
Clear the grill
First of all, the most important step is to make sure the grill is completely neat for the cooking process. It has to be properly cleaned as the meat is soft and can easily stick to the grates, causing various inconveniences while cooking it. With a clean surface, you can easily turn the meat and avoid potential problems. Therefore, before starting, make sure to assiduously remove all the dirt particles that can cause trouble while cooking. As a tip, you can sear on an infrared grill as it doesn’t emit too much smoke and helps you obtain better outcomes.
Choose the fish
The next step for a proper cooking process is to choose the right types of fish, suitable for searing. Practically, you can use most types of fish but some assortments work better for newbies. We’re speaking of these cuts that are more solid and rigid and that won’t drop out of the grill. These cuts have to be thicker, as well, in order to resist high heat searing temperatures. Nevertheless, the most appropriate types of fish to be seared are:
- Salmon: It’s one of the fish types that resist high temperatures. Salmon can be cooked at up to 450° F, as it’s extremely resistant, especially if you own a grill with temperature control. Cook it for up to 15 minutes and avoid flipping it. More than this, make sure to properly oil the racks in order to obtain the desired outcomes.
- Tuna: It’s another type you can confidently use if you’re a beginner due to the versatility it offers. You can use both slim and thick cuts as they will be ready in just a couple of minutes. Make sure to sear them on each side for 2/3 minutes, then they are ready to be served.
- Trout: When searing trout make sure to cover the cuts with salt, pepper, but also with oil. All these will bring extra flavor and won’t let it stuck. This type of fish cooks extremely fast, as well, so it doesn’t take too long to serve it. Turn it from time to time and get it out of the grill when it reaches a white color.
- Swordfish: It’s one of the most flavorful fish you can try searing. It’s steady, balmy and won’t slip out of the grates. It has a great texture and takes only a few minutes to get cooked.
- Dorado: Dorado is an excellent option, as well, due to the savor it brings. It’s a white fish, too, and has a similar texture to the swordfish, thus it’s steady and rigid, allowing for according searing.
- Shrimps: Searing shrimp is certainly the best option for novices, as it’s both healthy and delicious, ideal to be shared with the entire family. Even though it might seem a difficult task, it’s actually a breeze. One of the most important aspects is to purchase fresh shrimp exactly when you want to sear them. They can be seared with or without the cover, depending on your preferences. However, if removing the crust, the marinade will easier get through meat and provide extra tastiness. For the best outcomes, it’s recommended to cook them for about 5 or 6 minutes to a medium temperature.
Extra Tips & Tricks
Apart from choosing the right type of fish, there are also some tips to take into consideration if you want to enjoy the best outcomes. Therefore, make sure to also consider the following aspects:
- Buy fish only from reliable sources;
- Use high-quality grills, preferably take your time to research infrared grill reviews and opt for the healthier, more modern and effective cooking method provided;
- Use a special spatula, suitable for fish twisting;
- Preheat the unit on high temperature for up to fifteen minutes;
- Do not remove the skin on the fish;
- Add a drop of oil before cooking it.
Considering all these aspects, you’ll never worry about searing fish. If properly choosing it from trustworthy fishmongers, you won’t have to deal with potential problems. In addition to this, if following the steps above, set the correct temperatures and monitor the searing process, you’ll get delicious dishes to delight your dear ones with.